March 15, 2014

MiniDLNA : a lightweight DLNA/UPnP server for Linux

I used to use XBMC to stream videos from my Fedora system to my Andorid phone and Tablet. Of late I started to think that XBMC was little too much for streaming videos and started to look for alternatives. Few days back I found MiniDLNA, a light weight DLNA server. The installation and configuration in Fedora was pretty simple and it was up and running in no time.
Here are the installation/configuration steps I followed.
Install the MiniDLNA

sudo yum install minidlna

Minor changes are required in /etc/minidlna.conf to configure the server. I had to change the values for the following parameters in the /etc/minidlna.conf

network_interface=em1
port=8200
user=minidlna
media_dir=/xxx/yyy/zzzz # More media directories will need multiple media_dir entries.
friendly_name=MiniDLNA

Open up the port 8200 in firewall and the configuration is done.
Start the miniDLNA server as follows :

sudo systemctl start minidlna.service

Fire up your favorite DLNA/UPnP client from the mobile device (I use UPnPlay) and enjoy the videos.

No comments:

Post a Comment